Get help to prepare your home for the winter months
As the nights draw in and the temperatures drop, it is worth making sure your home is ready for the cold winter months ahead. Freezing temperatures, cold rain, hail and snow can all damage your home. That’s why you need to have the exterior checked for any possible gaps in its defences.
Prevention is always better than cure! So it makes sense to hire a trusted handyman or handywoman to do some basic home maintenance to prepare your home for winter. By getting some help now, you can save on potentially costly damage to your home. Plus, you can also ensure that you stay safe, warm and cosy over the season. Having someone check your house could also help to reduce your heating bills, by ensuring that there are no gaps for the cold to get in. Your home needs to be properly insulated to stay warm all winter long.
Our award-winning handyperson service is ideally suited to help with this sort of home maintenance. We have been helping people to protect their homes for the last 30 years and our service is Trading Standards approved.
How to get ready for winter
There are various things to consider to prepare your house for the winter. We can send round a handyman or handywoman to assess what needs to be done. They will look to do things such as:
- Clearing the gutters: water in places it shouldn’t be will damage your property, so we can ensure the gutters are clear of all obstructions including leaves and any debris
- Check the roof: we will inspect the roof for wear and tear. We can check for leaks and gaps and ensure the flashing around skylights, pipes and chimneys are intact.
- External water pipes: we can check these and consider wrapping them in heating tape to save energy and prevent them from freezing.
- Fire safety: if you have a wood burning stove we can inspect, clean and make any repairs needed. We can also get chimneys swept.
- Attic insulation: we can check your attic is insulated properly.
- Check for drafts: we can check around all doors and windows for any drafts. Caulk any cracks or install weather stripping to prevent cold air coming in and heat being lost.
- Outside taps: we can ensure that any outside taps are insulated. If you have an isolator valve, we will close the valve and open the tap so that if the water left in it freezes, it has room to expand.
- Paths, patios and driveways: damaged paths and driveways are a hazard anyway, but worsened in freezing temperatures, so we can ensure you go into the winter with a smooth exterior and fix any damaged areas. We can also clean patios, paths and driveways with a pressure washer so they do not become slippery when wet.
- Outside lights: we can make sure any outside lights are working correctly so you can see clearly on the dark mornings and afternoons.
- Tidy the garden: the autumn is the time to cut back any trees, shrubs and bushes. Not only because it’s better for them but also to prevent any damage to the house. We can also pop over during the autumn to clear up the leaves as they drop.
How We Care Home Improvements can help
Our handyperson service is set up to help with exactly this kind of home maintenance, and we have been helping people with their homes for over 30 years. You can completely trust our handymen and handywomen, who are all Trading Standards Approved.
Get in touch
Our customer service representatives can often provide a quote over the phone. If not, we will arrange for a Handyman or Handywoman to visit you for a free survey.
- Give us a call on 0300 323 0700 for a no-obligation chat with our team. We are open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm.
- Or, ask for a free quote and we will get in touch with you.