Job Title: Maintenance Technician – BANES
Working in older people’s homes and using your experience as a multi-skilled tradesperson, you are essential to meeting our purpose.
By carrying out a wide range of small home improvement tasks you will support older people to remain living comfortably and independently in their own homes for as long as they choose.
Responsibilities: To carry out a pre-booked daily schedule of home improvement tasks such as:
– Fitting grab rails, newel rails and stair rails
– Installing key safes
– Fitting Kee Klamp outdoor rails (to the wall and fixed floors)
– Carrying out home safety checks
– Building half steps
– Securing carpets strips
– Installing supplied equipment
– Fitting drop-down rails and shower seats
– Putting in place furniture raisers
– Carrying out accurate surveys on small, out of the ordinary lines of work.
– Supplying photos, notes and measurements
– Fitting / re-washer taps or new taps in kitchen sinks and bathroom basins
– Fixing toilet siphons and fill valves
– Re-sealing areas
– Replacing and re-fixing toilet seats
– Connecting washing machines to existing pipework
– Unblocking drains and toilets
Put up fixtures such as toilet roll holders, shelves, mirrors, pictures and blinds
Carpentry (Door lock experience is desirable):
– Ease internal doors
– Draft proof wooden doors and windows
– Repair garden gates
– Replace fence panels and posts
N.B. We will provide in house training on some of the above
To obtain appropriate materials from our approved suppliers to carry out your task list and keep your van stock up to date.
To visit clients requesting work, assess their needs, identify an appropriate solution, and discuss these with the client and provide a detailed estimate.
To work well with other professionals, carers and family members and support organisations to achieve the clients’ desired outcomes.
To work with the rest of the team to identify opportunities to improve the service to our customers.
To promote the purpose of WECHI, its activities and ethos including undertaking occasional promotional activities.
Accountabilities: To be responsible for updating your job status via mobile app and maintaining clear communication with the Customer Service Team.
To maintain and update electronic records on all jobs including time taken, materials used, work completed, work outstanding and referrals, invoices raised and payments taken.
To ensure work is consistently and efficiently completed to a high standard to enable WECHI to build long term relationships with our customers and encourage them to refer our services to friends or family.
To ensure that all work is completed in a safe manner and that the Health and Safety of you and your customers is considered at all times.
To maintain client confidentiality.
Hold our purpose – support older people to remain living comfortably and independently in their own homes for as long as they choose – at the heart of everything you do.
Show a keenness to learn about how we work as an organisation and commit to our values.
How we work:
– We don’t have managers as we are accountable to our purpose and our team
– We all have the right to make decisions as long as we take advice from anyone who is impacted by the decision
– We strive to make organisation information available to all
– We talk to one another as an adult to adult, are open, honest and respectful
– We celebrate success, we don’t fear failure and we learn from mistakes
– We aim to test and learn rather than plan and predict
– We strive to understand and support rather than judge and blame
– We are on a journey, we are resilient and we don’t expect to always get everything right the first time.
– We are experts
– We are resourceful
– We are caring
– We act with integrity
Key Internal Contacts – Home Improvement Area Lead
Home Improvement Area Coordinator
Customer Services team
Information and Advice Lead
Key External Contacts – Clients
Health and care professionals
Excellent communication skills
The ability to relate to older people and communicate with clients from a wide range of cultural, ethnic and religious backgrounds.
Significant building trade experience. This must include the ability to competently undertake basic plumbing repairs and relevant experience in carpentry.
Ability to assess defects and client requirements and be able to competently identify appropriate solutions on the spot including knowing when it is appropriate to undertake the work within the handyperson service and when the work should be referred on to others.
Be confident with smartphones; jobs are allocated and recorded via mobile app.
Flexible attitude to work and a willingness to adapt to an evolving role.
Provide and receive feedback honestly, openly and constructively
Positively contribute to the development of the organisation by getting involved in discussions about our future
Build good relationships with colleagues by providing mutual support, coaching and guidance.
Hold a full UK driving licence
Successful completion of a relevant trade apprenticeship
Relevant trade qualifications e.g. City & Guilds, NVQ etc. an advantage
Terms & Conditions
Place of work – Mainly Bristol with occasional visits to the West of England and Gloucestershire.
Hours per week 40 hours per week.
Probation period 3 months.
Private Pension Scheme, contributory at up to 5% of salary, with employer contribution of a maximum 7.5%
Death In Service Scheme
Cycle to Work Scheme
Childcare Vouchers Scheme
Tools allowance consisting of £500 for power tools rolling over 3 years and £160 per year for hand tools.
Company van and phone
Holidays 25 days pa, increasing to 28 days after 3 years’ service, plus bank holidays.
- Company car
- Company events & social hours
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £25,904.00 /year
To apply for this role, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org