The aim of the One To One Home Support Volunteer role is to provide emotional and mutual support to older people who may be particularly anxious about making decisions surrounding having work carried out in their home or moving. This role offers an excellent opportunity for individuals who would like to share their free time and skills to help people in their local community. Experience of having housing repairs, adaptations or moving is desirable but not essential to become a part of our volunteering team. We especially welcome applications from people aged over 50 and from black or minority ethnic (BME) communities for this role.
What will you be doing and how often?
- Visit clients who are anxious or worried about having work carried out in their home or are planning to move
- Help reduce their anxiety by offering empathy and emotional support
- If necessary, be present when We Care Home Improvements staff or trusted contractors visit
- Empower clients to make decisions about their home and well-being by raising awareness of other services or organisations that may support the client; helping the client to access these if desired
- The length of a visit is generally two hours, the frequency of visits is to be mutually agreed between the volunteer and client and the period of support will be agreed by the Volunteer Coordinator
- The locations of the visits vary as we support clients across Bath & North East Somerset, Bristol, North Somerset or South Gloucestershire.
- A passion for supporting vulnerable people
- Have a warm, empathetic and non-judgemental communication style
- Ability to listen well
- Be patient and reliable
- Have confidence to support people in their homes on a one to one basis and work autonomously
- The ability to accurately and concisely document information
- Preferably have access to a car or a willingness to travel on public transport.
DBS check: Due to the nature of the role you will need to have completed an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check including a check of the DBS barred list before supporting a client.
How to apply