Adapting your home to meet your needs,
enabling you to continue living in the place you love
Home is a sanctuary to us all and it is important for our wellbeing to feel safe and secure. For many of our customers, changes to their health and mobility can pose a threat to their ability to live in or get around their property safely.
We understand how difficult change can be and how tough it can be for those who no longer feel their home is a suitable environment for them to manage in safely on a day-to-day basis.
We have helped many customers adapt their property to suit their current and/or future needs, enabling them to continue living in the home they love.
We have experience in adapting properties to meet the needs of people living with general reduced mobility, and/or specific health conditions such as Parkinson’s disease, dementia, stroke and visual impairments.
We can work with your occupational therapists (OTs) for customers considering a large scale home adaptation. This enables us, to help design the best possible adaptation to meet the individual needs of our customers.
An example of a drawing of an extension with a bedroom and en-suite accessible bathroom for a future wheelchair user
The team will also work with you to futureproof the design to meet your future needs. If you have a progressive condition, this could include considering aspects such as:
· the future use of a wheelchair
· the use of ceiling track hoist
· the use of specialist equipment such as a tilt-in-space shower wheelchair
Types of home adaptations we offer
- Single storey extension – A single storey extension is a popular type of project for existing homes that need more space. It can provide sleeping and bathing facilities on the ground floor for people who have difficulties in accessing other floors in the house, or can be used to create extra space to improve access for example for wheelchair users. A single storey extension can enable people to stay in their own home for longer and can add real value to your home if properly designed.
- Garage conversion – Annexes are becoming more and more popular when more living, sleeping and or bathing space is needed and can add real value to your home. A garage conversion undoubtedly has many benefits for the property owner. In most scenarios garage conversions will fall under permitted development criteria, which means it does not require an application for planning permission, provided certain limits and conditions are met.
- Internal alterations or space conversion – Making alterations to the existing space in your property can be a cost effective solution to provide easy access to all floors for example by installing a through floor lift, widening doors and installing ramps.
- Accessible bathroom – Other internal adaptations to your home can be bathroom alterations and adapting the kitchen to help you live independently in a safe environment. Internal alterations do not need planning permission but will need building regulations approval.
Got something else in mind?
Give us a call to see how we might be able to help.
Did you know?
Adapting your property can:
- improve your independence
- increase your quality of life
- keep you in your own home for longer
- Call us on 0300 323 0700 to find out how we can help. We are open Monday to Friday, from 8am to 5pm.
- Or complete the form below, and we’ll contact you